Tuesday, October 8, 2013

"The Lemon Tree"- Chapter 2

 

Not too much has happened in chapter 2 of The Lemon Tree. I will quickly give a synopsis of this chapter and talk a little bit of the setting in the book.

Basically, in the beginning of chapter 2, Bashir's father, Ahmad, is building a house apart from his joint family. Then the story slowly fades into the connection between the family and the city and how the Israeli- Palestine war has begun. It also dives into the origins of the conflicts between the Israeli and the Palestinians.

I think in this chapter too much information is thrown out to you. I agree that the book is non-fiction; however, the story cannot throw out that much information. Also the book doesn't really describe some of the terms mentioned in the book, making it difficult for any other reader or me to understand it. I think that this book would be very good, if it was a little slower. The author should have made it into two or three books, so that the reader can easily understand it. Literally, I think that the author is just straight-out telling the fact rather than conveying them in a clear manner. I really wouldn't listen to the praises of the book, because I am pretty sure that they were very modest.

The story for now doesn't really have a setting, all it does is explain the war incidents. It gets really confusing, because they keep changing the setting. Once it is in al-Ramala and then it explains an event in another part of Palestine. Overall, I am just trying to say that this book is hard to keep up with. Only if you have a high comprehension level or you have a lot of prior knowledge of the war and if you know some technical terms, then it is really easy to understand. If you do not have any of the qualities above, I strongly discourage you from reading this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment