Monday, October 14, 2013

"Romeo and Juliet"- Act 1, Scenes 2-4

After reading a little bit more of The Lemon Tree, I just couldn't bear it, because of the great deal of information it throws at you and the lack of a developed plot in the third chapter. My friend who read the book said that the first 7 chapter, excluding the first chapter, is all about the history of the conflict. Just like The Great Gatsby, I am going to abandon The Lemon Tree. I discourage anybody to not read it. I bet it is even hard for historians to read the book. I think that my next book will be Divergent.

Putting that aside, in class, we read Romeo and Juliet from scenes 2-4. After reading it, the book is not as hard as I expected. Reading Elizabethan is that hard to read. It just takes time to understand the text. I very much prefer reading Romeo and Juliet over The Lemon Tree. Here is a basic over view of the scenes.

In Scene 2, Lord Capulet asks Paris if he would marry Juliet in two years. In the mean time, Lord Capulet asks him to start "wooing" her, so Lord Capulet sets up a party for him to "woo" her. Lord Capulet then send out a servant to invite some guests and leaves. However, since the servant didn't know how to read, he asked the nearest people, who is Romeo and Benvolio, to read it for him. Romeo reads it to him and the servant invites him to the party.In Scene 3, Lady Capulet basically wants to talk to Juliet about marrying Paris; however, the Nurse keeps going off in a tangent. Then Lady Capulet finally gets a chance to talk about marrying Paris. Juliet said that she thought that marriage is is "an honor that I dream not of." However, she said that she would try to love Paris. In Scene 4, basically Romeo, Benvolio, and Mercutio are going to the party and Mercutio gives the famous Queen Mab speech.

I had a couple of predictions that would happen later in the book. One prediction is that Romeo and Juliet will meet somewhere incidentally. Then they will hang out with each other. Another prediction is that their parents will find out and they will fight even more. Overall, I think that Romeo and Juliet is a very interesting story.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing this! I was a little bit confused on this, but now I understand it. And I agree with your predictions

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with those predictions, I am sad that you have to keep abandoning books but if you don't like them why read them? I think Romeo and Juliet is not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard Divergent is a really good book, so I hope you like it more than the other book you were reading.

    ReplyDelete