Friday, September 6, 2013

"The Great Gatsby": Chapter One- Characters

I began to read The Great Gatsby just yesterday. I have heard that the book is very interesting, but the beginning can be kind of insipid and boring. I have only read one chapter in the book so far and of course the beginning of the first chapter was very long and prosaic. Usually, I stop reading the book if the book starts of apathetically. But, I trust the words of my friends, so I will continue to read it. In the first chapter, it basically introduces some characters and it seemingly leads to a plot, but I faintly understand it. I will go more into the depth of the characters introduced in the first chapter. First off, I will discuss about Nick Carraway, who is the narrator and one of the main characters. His name is not directly stated in the words of the author, but I know this because on pg. 21(if you have the eBook version), another character says his name. The quote says as follows:
"'What you doing, Nick?'"    
                       -The Great Gatsby (pg. 21)
(This is said by Tom Buchanan, the husband of his cousin, also known as his cousin-in-law, to the main character, Nick.)

Nick grew up in a family of highly respected people in Chicago. His family were descendants of the "Dukes of Buccleuch". Nick has a passion for literature. Nick graduated in New Haven, which is probably from Yale. Also he fought in World War I and he actually liked war for some reason. Now, he aspires to be a businessman, because everyone he knew went into business. After a hard decision, Nick's father finally agreed to finance him for an entire year. The following quote gives some insight about his family:
"My family have been prominent, well-to-do people in this Middle Western city for three generations. The Carraways are something of a clan, and we have a tradition that we're descended from the Dukes of Buccleuch, but the actual founder of my line was my grandfather's brother, who cam here in fifty-one, sent a substitute to the Civil War, and started the wholesale hardware business that my father carries on to-day." 
                                                                                   -The Great Gatsby (pg.9)
So he moved to New York and found a house to share with a man from office. At the last minute, the man was appointed to Washington. Now he was alone in New York living in a bungalow that cost eighty dollars per month. On either side of the bungalow, there was two colossal mansions. Nick's second cousin once removed, Daisy, and her husband, Tom Buchanan, both live in New York as well. Tom and Nick both went to college together. Also, Tom was one of the most powerful tight ends who played football in New Haven; on top of that, he also grew up in a rich family. The second part of the first chapter took place at Daisy's mansion. The video on the bottom is from The Great Gatsby movie from 1974 and the scene where Nick goes over to Daisy's mansion. Over there Nick met Jordan Baker. At first, Nick didn't realize that it was Jordan Baker until the end of the first chapter. Jordan Baker is a sports figure and the first chapter doesn't really hint what sport she plays. Throughout the time Nick spent with her, he showed some affection towards her. Here is an example:

The Great Gatsby (1974)


"I looked at Miss Baker, wondering what it was she "got done." I enjoyed looking at her. She was a slender - with an erect carriage, which she accentuated by throwing her body backward at the shoulder like a young cadet."
                                                                                              -The Great Gatsby (pg. 23)

A very important character that is faintly described in the first chapter is Mr. Gatsby. Coincidentally, Mr. Gatsby is the neighbor of Nick; he lives in the mansion on the right of his house. Though he is a main character in the book, not much is revealed about him in the first chapter, except that he is rich. At the end of the chapter, as Nick is outside his house in the night, Mr. Gatsby was strolling on the lawn. Nick called out to him; however, Mr. Gatsby vanished. The ending of the chapter intrigued me into knowing why Mr. Gatsby ignored Nick. Overall, the first chapter tells a lot about a couple of characters, especially Nick, and faintly introduces an essential character as well. I just hope to learn more about Mr. Gatsby as I embark my journey through the book.



Click to find a review on The Great Gatsby.



4 comments:

  1. Very well written post. You have a lot of good textual evidence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a very insightful post to read. You were able to support your idea with lots of evidence directly from the book along with content such as links and a video clip. I have read the Great Gatsby, and from my experience, you made a good choice to keep reading the book as the rest of the plot is much more well developed than the first chapter. Fitzgerald's plot structure is unique and suspenseful, which you have already noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the background of your blog :) Your blogs are so well written and very strongly supported by quotes from the book. I've always wanted to read The Great Gatsby- especially after the movie came out. And your blog has really inspired me to actually get the book and read it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, very well written post! This is very detailed, and you clearly put a lot of thought into this. Now I want to read this book as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete