Sunday, January 12, 2014

NFL Criticisms


While reading some columns by Bill Dwyre for an English project, I read two columns by him- both of which criticized some aspects of the NFL. Both the articles criticized the NFL for several things including NFL injuries and bad behavior from NFL players. In the first article titled "The high price of heroism in pro football", it told me the situation where Wes Welker, one of the best wide receivers in the NFL, was returned to play with an undetected concussion. This shocked me; I knew that the NFL had several injuries, but I never knew these serious injuries would go undetected. The author of the NFL made me realize that NFL is not only dangerous with the injuries, but also the undetected injuries, because when Welker was sent back, he could have gotten a more severe concussion or even worse.

I am not at all shocked that the NFL has several injuries with all the tackling, but I am just still astonished with the undetected ones. I mean these injuries could have gotten worse and lead to permanent head damage and prevented him for ever playing football again. An especially when Welker a veteran wide receiver at the age of 32 and with a weight of 190 pounds. This makes this star player even more viable to severe injuries. I actually kept up with the Chiefs and Broncos game; however, I soon knew that the Broncos would leave with an easy win. Another factor that I am considering is that Welker didn't need to return, after all they were doing well and had other receivers to take his place, so why did the coach put him back in? All these factors are just astounding me on the fact that Welker was put back into the game with an injury at a not required time.

Now, in the second article titled "Fans need to stand up to the Richie Incognitos of the NFL", I learned how much the viewers impact the NFL. I mean yeah without the viewers football isn't all that fun; however, I am surprised that the viewer impact the rules in the NFL. For example, the article talks about how the NFL will realize its mistakes in the rules if we stop watching football and soon they will fix it. Well yeah they will fix it, but I thought the NFL cared more about their players than anything else. This article changed my whole perspective on the NFL. making this a remarkable column.

I am quite astounded on the fact that the NFL isn't really that strict on discrimination and bullying on teams. Richie Incognito, Dolphins player, was making rude remarks and comments on a rookie. The remarks included death threats and racial slurs. I personally thought that the Dolphins would fire Incognito before the NFL could take action; however, they only suspended him. I would expect the Dolphins to want a player who rolls with the team and it friends with everyone, not a bully. Also I would expect the NFL to take even more serious action on this matter, because it just makes the viewer and fans very sad and it is just very rude and not teammate-like (if that is a word).

I have sparked an interest in sports columns and I will more frequently write on some surprising columns that I read. However, I will definitely still write posts on "The Mark of Athena".

No comments:

Post a Comment